Honey Wheat Bread

In these carb-obsessed days it seems that I am the last remaining bread lover on Earth. Even those who still eat bread always gravitiate to the deliciously soft white bread made by Grandma (Sycamore that is). But not I. I LOVE WHEAT BREAD! Not just any wheat bread, though. It has to be soft, sweet, and not to light or not too heavy. This recipe is just that. Don't be intimidated by making bread from scratch. I do it all the time, and I am by no means a professional baker. Once you taste this wonderful bread you will never go back to that tasteless sandpaper they sell in the store as wheat bread. Serve this warm with a little (or a LOT) butter and honey, and ummmmm the effort will totally be worth it. Thanks Jadi (and Geoff) for finding this recipe, giving it a try, and sharing it with the rest of us! (This recipe is for two loafs)
Mix together and let sit 5 minutes:
2 3/4 cup warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1/8 cup sugar (I add 1-2 Tbsp. more)
Add:
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
3 to 3 1/2 cups wheat flour
3 cups white flour
Add more flour until the sides of the bowl are clean. You will probably end up using 7-7 1/2 cups of flour total.
Remove bowl from kitchen aid and let dough rise in an oiled bowl for 1 hour. (I spray a large bowl with pam)
Cut dough into two equal pieces and roll each ball of dough into a rectangle with a rolling pin to get out the air bubbles. Roll up dough starting with the short end of the rectangle. Tuck ends under and place in greased bread pans. Let raise only abuot 20 minutes. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. When bread is done slide a butter knife around the inside edges of the pans and drop the loafs of bread out onto a wire rack to cool. Rub the tops with butter while still hot.
Mix together and let sit 5 minutes:
2 3/4 cup warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1/8 cup sugar (I add 1-2 Tbsp. more)
Add:
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
3 to 3 1/2 cups wheat flour
3 cups white flour
Add more flour until the sides of the bowl are clean. You will probably end up using 7-7 1/2 cups of flour total.
Remove bowl from kitchen aid and let dough rise in an oiled bowl for 1 hour. (I spray a large bowl with pam)
Cut dough into two equal pieces and roll each ball of dough into a rectangle with a rolling pin to get out the air bubbles. Roll up dough starting with the short end of the rectangle. Tuck ends under and place in greased bread pans. Let raise only abuot 20 minutes. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. When bread is done slide a butter knife around the inside edges of the pans and drop the loafs of bread out onto a wire rack to cool. Rub the tops with butter while still hot.
Comments