Broccoli Salad
For Sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago I was assigned to bring a salad. Not having any ingredients for a salad I ran to the grocery store only to find that one head of iceberg lettuce was $3.50. Are you kidding? The better kinds of lettuce (romaine, green leaf, butter crunch) were even more. The produce guy informed me that due to some late spring frost (what? It is spring some places and they are actually growing things?) the price of a lot of produce is going way up. Not giving up on the salad idea, I just picked up some broccoli...for .69 cents a pound. While in said grocery store I ran into my dad and mentioned the price of lettuce and my solution to the salad dilemma. He emphatically told me he was going to SKIP the salad at dinner the next day. I guess he didn't find the idea of broccoli salad very appealing. Well, I did make that broccoli salad, and I didn't even get to take any home after dinner. Apparently many people found it delicious! I even forced some on my dad and Allen, and both of them managed to keep it down! Even though I'm not a huge fan of raw broccoli, I think this salad is really good. It is a great departure from your regular old lettuce, tomato, and carrot boring salad.
Broccoli (cut into very small flowerettes)
Bacon (fried and cut into small pieces)
Cheese (I have used both cheddar and Swiss and enjoy both)
Red onion (cut into very small pieces, although no matter how small you chop them some people will still pick them out...MOM! Didn't think I saw that huh?)
Poppy Seed dressing
Mix all ingredients. If you have a couple of hours before you need this salad, great. It will allow the flavors to come together even more.
Broccoli (cut into very small flowerettes)
Bacon (fried and cut into small pieces)
Cheese (I have used both cheddar and Swiss and enjoy both)
Red onion (cut into very small pieces, although no matter how small you chop them some people will still pick them out...MOM! Didn't think I saw that huh?)
Poppy Seed dressing
Mix all ingredients. If you have a couple of hours before you need this salad, great. It will allow the flavors to come together even more.
Comments